Documentation from the program developers:
- PmWiki documentation is available at DocumentationIndex.
- What is the WikiWikiWeb?
- TipsForEditing and TextFormattingRules describe how to create pages in PmWiki.
- Practice editing pages in the Main/WikiSandbox.
Here are some tips and clues on how to add content or edit content on the wiki:
- Intra-wiki links now require [[ and ]] around them. If you see pages where the links are not being rendered properly, please help out by fixing them.
- Click on the edit link/tab for any page to see how it's created behind-the-scenes. WikiSandbox is available for those who learn best by doing.
- Feel free to correct people's spelling or grammar, after all this is a "manual" and we're not paid well enough to hire editors and proofreaders.
- Try to keep the thoughts behind people's contributions intact, but feel free to improve on it, clarify it, add examples, add links to it, add footnotes, asides, or complain to me if you think that something needs to be removed and want a second opinion.
- Feel free to remove offensive material. The best way to do this is to look at the "Page Revisions" or History link and to find where the offensive material doesn't exist, and revert to the last clean copy...especially helpful if someone is purposefully mangling the manual to be an asshole.
- Try to make page names/links that make sense, it will make things easier since there's hundreds of pages to weed through. Look at how pages are named so far, to get an idea of how to name your own additions. Free links are the best way to customize the links so that pages make more sense, and so that you can link people's text to various pages without having to change the wording of the original author.
- Lengthly personal information should go into a group about your own system. EmailMe about starting your own group in the wiki so that you can do this.
- Any time you want to add a new link to a page you are reading, in case you have something big to say. Keep in mind: this newly created page has the SAME Group as the page you start it from! Read the documentation to figure out how to create pages in other groups.
- Hit "Edit Page" link at the top of the page. This brings you to a form with the text on the page in the middle.
- Find where you'd like the link in the text.
- The easiest way to start a new page: enclose a series of words that you want to name the new page with [[ and ]]. This creates a link to a page named after the link text. You can see this in action here: the kinhost wiki manual TOC. There are more elaborate ways to create pages and links to them with details on this page. You can readily use the WikiSandbox to create these new links, but you may also want to go to the ManualTOC to add these links directly to the table of contents.
- After putting the comment and link on the page, hit "Save"
- You can then view the edited page, and scroll down to where your link will be. If you don't like it, you can Edit Page again until it looks ok.
- There will be a ? after the text or the text will be hot red. Click on it and you'll be brought to a new page edit form.
- At least hit return twice between paragraphs. For more conventions on how to format text in the edit windows see TextFormattingRules or the box under the edit window which has some quick formatting tips.